Deadline: May 28, 2023
Applications are open for the 9th Jalón Ángel Photography Awards 2023. Ángel Hilario García de Jalón Hueto (1898-1976), better known as Jalón Angel, was one of the most prominent figures of portrait photography in Spain during his 50 years of professional career.
This photographer, who had a great social and human impact, began his early training in Logroño and perfected it in the first decade of the twentieth century, first in Lyon and then in Paris. In 1926, he settled in Zaragoza where he combined his most personal and creative photography, specialising in travel and urban and natural landscape, with his portrait work. His social and Christian concern led him to promote, in 1953, the San Valero Professional School belonging to Grupo San Valero, which gave young people without adequate resources access to employment through training programmes.
This award not only aims to honour the memory of Jalón Ángel as a photographer, but also as the founder of Grupo San Valero, a network of institutions for educational and vocational training at different levels and modalities. For this reason, the winning categories are: Portrait, a genre in which he excelled at a national level; Travel and traditions, to which he devoted much of his photographic creativity and, in this edition, the special category on the Science and Photography as a contribution to the recognition of the 170th anniversary of the birth of Ramón y Cajal. Coinciding this year, with the 70th anniversary of the San Valero Group, one more category is added: Education and Training.
This international photography competition is organized by Jalón Ángel Photograph Archive and San Jorge University, Spain.
There are four categories:
- Science and Photography
- Education and Training
- The best photograph in the “Portrait” category: €1,000
- The best photograph in the “Travel” category: €1,000
- The best photograph in the “Science and Photography” category: €1,000
- The best photograph in the “Education and Training” category: €1,000
- The competition is open to anyone over the age of 18.
- You can submit one image into each category.
The competition entries must comply with the following requirements:
- Any photographic medium may be used.
- The entry will be submitted in digital format. It must adhere to the following essential requirements: .jpg format, 300 pixels per inch, and 50 cm on its long side. If these requirements are not met, the photograph will be deemed invalid.
- Photographs in black and white or colour are eligible.
- Both chemical and digital retouching must be minimal (lighting, contrast, colour balance) and must not distort the original shot. If this requirement is not met this photograph will be deemed invalid.
For more information, visit Jalón Ángel Photography Awards.